The Spanish golden residency visa is available to lead applicants of 18 years old or over who invest Euro 500,000 or above in a Spanish property, their spouses and dependents. Typically a dependent can be children up until the age of 18 but special provision can be given to older dependents for which the applicant is a guardian, typically on medical grounds.
- The Spanish Golden Visa allows full access for travel to countries in the Schengen Zone and allows applicants to acquire residency permits and work permits in Spain.
- It is important to consider that in addition to the cost of the Golden Visa property and properties in Spain, up to 14%, but usually 10-11% must be added towards closing costs. VAT and stamp duty are incurred on newly built properties, transfer tax is incurred on resale properties and in addition to lawyers’ and notary’s fees are due on all purchases. Typically a lawyer should charge something in the order of Euro 1,000-1,500 plus 21% VAT for the processing of the visa application.
- The Golden visa is only valid for as long as investment is maintained to the value of 500k Euro or above. The purchaser may dispose of the assets only at such time as permanent residency is achieved if they want to continue their involvement in the programme.
- There is no requirement to reside in Spain at any time for the duration of the programme.
- Permanent residency can be applied for after a period of five years and will be granted as long as the Golden visa participant(s) have remained within the rules of the programme.
- In Spain, the process of gaining citizenship via the Golden visa programme is phased and takes 10 years, so one spends in essence 5 years under the Golden Visa regime, 5 years as a permanent resident and then one can apply for citizenship. Thus, the applicants may opt for naturalization to Spanish citizenship after a period of 10 years.
- Tax residency in Spain is governed by the usual laws pertaining to residency as they would normally apply outside of the Golden Visa programme, so they run irrespective of the programme. To this extent, one is tax resident if one spends more than 183 days in the country.
- The granting of the Golden Visa should take no more than 20 days from application.
- The purchase of the properties pertinent to the application must have taken place before such time as the visa is granted.
- In order to successfully apply for a visa, no person on the application must have ever entered or stayed illegally in Spanish territory or been denied entry to any country that is a member of the Schengen zone.
- It is mandatory for the applicants to enrol in a public or private health insurance policy in Spain.
- The applicants must demonstrate sufficient economic means to reside in Spain.
Proof of the investment must be made by via a Property Registry certificate which attests ownership. If the ownership title has not yet been registered, then title must be validated via the acquisition of a public deed together with the proof of filing of said deed within the Property Registry.
We assist clients with document preparation and filing, legal advice, housing and real estate, taxation, investment advice
which are unavailable with Government.
We are not affiliated to or endorsed by Government(s) or official sources.
All information including services and forms are freely available from Govt authorities.
Disclaimer: This website is not affiliated to or endorsed by Government(s) or official sources.
We assist clients for paid services with document preparation and filing, housing and real estate, tax advice, liaison and investments.
More specific information about the programs are available with the Govt websites of respective countries.
The information contained in this website is based on general purpose only and it does not meant to substitute qualified legal or professional advice given by a specialist knowing your particular situation. We do not accept for any loss or damages whether direct, incidental, indirect, special, or consequential, among others, relating access to this Website. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form or by any means, without our prior written permission. All other works are copyrighted works of our partners, which had been reproduced with prior permission.